Prague, 170 00
+420 2 2171 4444
Located on the Letna parkland overlooking the Vltava River and city center, this structure was erected to replace the Stalin Monument, which at the time was the largest in the world. The Stalin monument was built in the early 1950s and unveiled on May 1, 1955 as a tribute to the deceased Communist leader; however, Nikita Kruschev soon denounced Stalin and, under his instructions, the monument was blown up in 1962 leaving only the huge concrete base. Now used as a picnic area, it can be reached by walking across the Stefaniku Bridge from the main city. Just underneath the structure are the nuclear bunkers, built to protect the Communist elite but which are now used as a meeting place for the young people of Prague. A short walk away is the Hanavsky Pavilion, which was built in 1891 and now serves as a restaurant/café.