Clarion Hotel Gillet
Uppsala, 753 20
Phone: (46) 18 68 18 00
Fax: (46) 18 68 18 18
This handily situated information office is open during regular business hours. It's knowledgeable staff is happy to provide maps or directions and to help arrange tours and make reservations for restaurants and museums tours.
Carl Linnaeus gave the world the Linnean system of scientific names, and many of the species he first described in his botanical research still live in the garden he built for this purpose in the northern half of the city. It is attached to the museum now housed in his former residence, but is actually admission free and administered by the city as a park.
The Linnaeus Garden was founded in 1655 and is one of the oldest botanical gardens in the city. The garden was in a depleted state, till it was restored much later. Named after Linnaeus, as the teacher and scientist conducted his experiments and taught his students here. The garden is very beautiful to visit with the exotic species of trees and plants grown here. The garden also has a museum in its premise, which is very informative and interesting. If you are a nature lover, do not miss a trip here.
The Domkyrka, or Cathedral, dates in its current form to 1703, but there has been a church on the site since the 14th Century, and before that, the seat of the church in Sweden could trace its roots back to the bones of the pagan temple in Uppsala which stood since prehistoric times. The building is the tallest church in Scandinavia and in addition to regular services, hosts concerts, lectures and community events as well.
The River Fyris is the age-old thoroughfare that runs through the Uppland region. A slow stream, it's ideal for leisurely days on the water and the river walk that constitutes the banks of the waterway in the city center are an ideal location for a stroll or a picnic when the weather is nice.
The center of Uppsala is largely centered around the twin squares that are the sites of the central University buildings and the Domkyrka, but the district can rightly be described as spilling over onto the east bank of the River as well. Naturally, the center houses many if not most of the city's sights including a majority of its famed museums, restaurants and entertainment venues.
Kungsängen began as an autonomous community and has since grown into an integral part of the city. Once almost strictly an industrial and commercial zone, it still hosts more than its fair share of factories and shopping centers, but is a vibrant residential quarter as well.
A well known landmark in the city, Vaksalaskolan is a prestigious and popular school in Uppsala. This structure was erected somewhere in 1920 and was established as a school in 1927. Designed by a renown architect Gunnar Leche in a neoclassical architectural style, this building is known as one of the city's most beautiful structures. Vaksalaskolan has the capacity of 600 students, along with 30 teachers with a well balanced education system.
The Uppsala University library is the largest institution of its kind so far north in Sweden. Its nearly endless stacks of books, periodicals and videos provide a world of knowledge, both on general topics and on subjects of particular interest to those after the history and lore of Uppsala and its surroundings. There is a copious selection of books and other media in English as well as other languages like French and German as well as material for children.
This massive neo-classical library is a centerpiece of the inner city. It began as the University library and at the time was one of the grandest in Europe. The museum today is both a functioning library with a massive collection of historical books and documents (many in English or other languages) and also a museum of the library and the history of the city.
The Kungsgärdet is all that remains of the extensive Royal estates that once stretched across the western districts of Uppsala. The park contains a small chapel that also functions as a museum and several clearings and open spaces suitable for picnics and outings.
This manicured park is all that remains of the palace that was once built adjacent to its grounds. It contains both green lawns reminiscent of a continental country estate and some less-cultured areas for relaxing and retreating from the sun. This also adjoins one of the oldest cemeteries in the city also referred to under the name Höganäshöjden.