Clarion Collection Hotel Tapto
Stockholm, 115 31
Phone: (46) 8 664 50 00
Fax: (46) 8 664 07 00
Completed in 1914, Engelbrektskyrkan is one of Stockholm's largest churches. Known for its unique architectural style, it exhibits a melange of Art Nouveau, National Romanticism as well as Byzantine styles. The tower of the church is incredibly high and can be seen from all corners of the city. The most amazing part is that the church looks as if it grew from the hills. Morning service is held every Sunday at 11am.
The Flygarmonumentet is an aviation monument located in Stockholm's Karlaplan area. It was given by the Aeronautical Society in memory of those aviators who lost their lives during the North Pole expedition and during the 1917 missions. The monument was sculpted by Carl Milles and unveiled in 1931. The monument is that of an eagle with his wings stretched out; not to be mistaken with a somewhat similar Nazi Eagle. It stands on a plinth with a carving of Icarus on it. The body of the statue beneath the eagle contains an urn which has medals of Swedish pilots who lost their lives. The monument is often used by the Swedish Air Force while paying respect to the country's departed heroes.
Established in the year 1886 by Prince Carl who was Duke of Västergötland at the time, the Fältrittklubben which is also known as the Stockholms Fältrittklubb or the Stockholm Cross Country Riding Club is a riding club with some of the finest horses in Sweden. The endurance trials for horses in the 1912 Summer Olympics were held within its premises. Even today, the club regularly hosts competitions and events surrounding equestrian activities. Activities are also organized especially for children on a monthly basis.
Trefaldighetskyrkan, a Methodist church, was built in the Neo-Gothic style in 1893-94. It is located close to Östermalmstorg. Its red bricks add to its grandeur. The intricate details in limestone are really beautiful. The church is open for visits only during services, which are held every Sunday morning.
This is a seventeenth-century church in Östermalmstorg. Several architects, such as, Jean de la Vallée and Göran J Adelkrantz, have worked on this building between 1656 and 1672. The interior is in high Baroque style, with an octagonal floor plan, a high dome and marbled Corinthian columns.
Kungliga Biblioteket, the royal library, was constructed in the sixteenth century. Since 1661, a copy of everything that has been printed in Sweden has ended up in its archives. Initially, the collection was stored in the attic of the old Royal Palace and later in one of its wings. During the wars in the seventeenth century, many foreign books ended up in the country, such as the Codex Gigas, which dates back to thirteenth-century Prague. Parts of the collection ended up in the Vatican when Queen Christina left Sweden for Rome. In 1697 a major part of it was lost in the disastrous fire at the Royal Palace. Later the collections moved back into the palace after it was rebuilt, where it remained until 1877. Today Kungliga Biblioteket is a public library.
Lill-Jansskogen is an expansive recreational space on the Djurgården island. The park has extensive wooded landscapes and is perfect for short hikes and jogging. It was part of the 1956 Summer Olympics where events in the equestrian discipline were held. It is a beautiful, serene place for a peaceful nature walk.
Elimkyrkan is a three-storey building located in the heart of Östermalm. It looks like just any other building from the outside, but is actually a beautiful church. It belongs to the Elim community, that was formed in Stockholm in 1990. Services translated into English are held every Sunday at 11am.
Humlegården is one of Stockholm's nicest small parks and a real oasis away from the city traffic. Sit and read peacefully on a park bench, or take a nap on the grass. In the summertime, there are also outdoor performances on the park stage by the Stockholm City Theater's Park Theater, among others.
One of the city's most impressive landmarks, the Oscarskyrkan is located in the heart of the city, a striking contrast amidst the contemporary buildings and residential palaces. The church is named after King Oscar II by whom the foundation stone was laid in 1897. Designed by architect Gustaf Hermansson in the Gothic Revival style, the building was finally completed in 1903. Further modifications were made between 1921-23, including the addition of one of the major attractions for visitors to the church, the 33 stunning stained glass windows designed by Emanuel Vigeland who was inspired by works featured in Italian and French medieval cathedrals. Another attraction is the church organ, one of Sweden's largest in any church, built by Marcussen & Son, a Danish firm, it was a landmark in the building of these superb instruments. For additional information or a digital guide of the church, visit the website.
Nybroplan is a public square in the central side of the city. It is a link to many important streets as well. It is also near to other squares like Östermalmstorg and Stureplan. While the Kungsträdgården is just a few steps away from it. It is the home of the Royal Dramatic Theatre and Berzelii Park. You will many monuments devoted esteemed Swedes. These include the statues of John Ericsson, Margaretha Krook and Raoul Wallenberg.
The enormous church in Immanuelskyrkan is a part of the Mission Covenant Church of Sweden (MCCS). It can seat a thousand people, and the ceiling height is seventeen metres. A cross dominates the room. There is a service every Sunday at 11am, in three languages: Swedish, English and Korean.