Lady Erin Monument
+353 71 61202
Standing on the site of the 16th century Market Cross, the Lady Erin Monument adds a note of majesty to the centre of Sligo Town. The sculpture is 16ft high, carved in Sicilian marble and depicts a woman standing on broken chains while holding a half-mast flag. The statue commemorates the rebels of 1798 and was unveiled on 3 September 1899. The mayor of Sligo performed the honours while a capacity crowd looked on. It is interesting to note that Ireland's break from the United Kingdom was still many years away. Contact Sligo Tourist Office for further information.