Clarion Collection Hotel Principessa Isabella
Via Sardegna, 149/151
Phone: (39) 06 484523
Fax: (39) 06 4885964
Tu to Su from 09:00 AM to 06:00 PMThe altar, commissioned by the Senate following pacification work launched by Emperor Augustus, dates from 9 BC. The first panels were found in 1500 and ended up in Paris and Florence. Made from marble and beautifully sculpted, probably by Greek artists, the panels formed an enclosure around a base with an altar in the center. The figures are from the imperial family. Restoration work was begun in 1938. Now the altar is protected by a glass covering.