Chiesa di Sant'Agostino e San Giovanni Evangelista
14 Via Cairoli
+39 0541 78 1268
This is one of Rimini's oldest churches, built around 1200 in Romanesque-Gothic style. Today only the belltower, the tallest in the city, and the apse can be seen as the rest of the building is a reconstruction. It was dedicated to St John the Evangelist but, having been built by Augustinian hermits, it was always known locally as the church of St Augustine and is still known by that name. Following the 1916 earthquake, a series of frescoes was discovered which has become one of the most important examples of the Rimini pictorial school. The subjects are the Universal Judgement
and scenes from the life of the saint and it is now kept in the city museum. Its authorship is attributed to the Master of Arengo. A large crucifix similar to the one painted by Giotto for the Malatesta Temple (and also attributed to the Master of Arengo) is kept in the baptistery.