Pulvertornis (Powder Tower)
Smilšu iela 20
First mentioned in 1330 as the Sand Tower (Smilšu tornis), this is the only tower from Riga fortification wall that has been preserved. It was the largest tower protecting the land entry into the city – from the side of the Smilšu iela, which was the only land entry into the city bordered by water. In the 17th Century it became a gunpowder warehouse and thus gained its current name. Cannonballs were also kept in the three-meter-thick walls. Nowadays, the Museum of War is located in the tower.