Clarion Collection Hotel Richmond Gate
152-158 Richmond Hill
Richmond upon Thames, EN TW10 6RP
Phone: (44) 0844 855-9121
Fax: (44) 0208 332-0354
Doughty House, located in Richmond, is a Grade II listed heritage structure dating back to the 18th century. It houses the large 125 feet long (38 m) Sir Francis Cook Gallery which itself has Grade II listing and includes the famous paintings by Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook whose family lived here until the Second World War. The house is named after Elizabeth Doughty who resided here until 1786 and is believed to have built the St Elizabeth of Portugal Church in the Richmond Vineyard. The house is a private property and is closed for public viewing.
Downe House, located in Richmond, is a Grade II listed building dating back to 1780. The large mansion features Georgian style architecture and has a brown brick exterior, carved windows and a magnificent porch with four storeys. It is most well known for being the residence of Rolling Stone vocalist Mick Jagger and his wife, Jerry Hall until their separation. Ms Hall continues to reside at the mansion. The house was once owned by the Irish playwright and politician Richard Brinsley Sheridian around the turn of the 18th century.
St Matthias Church, Richmond, is a stunning Victorian Gothic building which dates back to 1857. The tall spire can be seen from miles away and the building as a whole is an architectural wonder. In 1970, the west end of the church was divided to provide a space for community activities. This space has come to be home to a number of community groups and is also available for hire for children's parties and group events/meetings. Although an Anglican Church, services are a mix of traditional Anglican practices and more informal ones, with the aim of fostering an open and welcoming community spirit.
The Montrose House, located in Petersham, is a Grade II listed heritage building dating back to the 17th century. It features beautiful architecture with red brick exterior and arched windows and bays. It was built for Sir Thomas Jenner, Justice of the Common Pleas. Later, the Dowager Duchess of Montrose (widow of the 3rd Duke) resided here from 1837 to 1847 and the building is named after her. Later in 1969, the house was bought by the famous British entertainer Tommy Steele. The house is featured in a drawing by Wilfred Fairclough and is on display in the Victoria and Albert Museum of London.
The serene Sudbook stream along with the Latchmere stream tributary serve the areas of Ham, north of Kingston upon Thames and Petersham. The streams are a part of the River Thames and Sudbrook finds its origins at the Dann’s Pond at Richmond Park. Needless to say, Sudbrook is surrounded by natural habitat that runs the entire course of the stream. Some ponds lie around the streams. These ponds were constructed to provide water for the grazing deer.
The St Elizabeth of Portugal Church is a Grade II listed heritage building dating back to the 1824. It was designed by the noted architect Thomas Hardwick and was a gift to the locality by Elizabeth Doughty. It features beautiful architecture with yellow and red brick exterior, a tower, a hexagonal dome and round carved windows. The interior of the church is equally stunning with tranquil white washed walls, polished wooden pews and a beautifully decorated altar in gold. Today the church is under the Catholic denomination and is considered to be the oldest standing church under the Archdiocese of Southwark. The parish council has many ministries such as a youth group, woman's league, a justice and peace group and a children's liturgy among many others. There are two large halls in the church namely the Upper Crypt and the Lower crypt which are rented out for weddings, parties and receptions along with a large professional kitchen. It's picturesque beauty and historical background make it a popular tourist attraction in the region.
The Clarence House of Richmond is a Grade II listed heritage building dating back to 1696. It was originally built for Nathaniel Rawlins, a merchant of London who resided here until his death. It is named after the Duke of Clarence who lived in Richmond and went on become King William IV. From 1792 to 1799, it functioned as a Catholic school which counted the famous Chilean independence leader, Bernardo O' Higgins among its pupils. A blue plaque fitted on the mansion walls by English Heritage commemorates the same. Since 1947 the building has been a private home and counts British actor Brian Blessed among its former residents.
The Richmond Bridge of London, is a Grade I listed heritage structure built in the 18th century. It was the eighth bridge built over the River Thames and is today the oldest surviving bridge over the river in the region of Greater London. It was designed by architect James Paine and constructed as a replacement to the ferry which functioned between the two shores. The bridge is made of Portland stone and has a stone arch design with five spans and four piers in the water. It has undergone many restorations since its opening in 1777 but still retains much of its original design.
Bethlehem Chapel is a one of a kind institution of faith that lies in the Richmond region of London. This independent Calvinistic chapel is a designated site of English heritage. Dating back to the 18th Century, the chapel is a beautiful building with one story. The stuccoed building has a modest appeal and attracts many visitors. Organizing many regular events and workshops, the chapel brings faith and religion closer to mankind. Check website for more information.
Pembroke Lodge is historic Georgian mansion located in Richmond Park.
St Mary Magdalene Church at Richmond's Paradise Road is a lovely church. The church is known for holding many events and music festivals. They offer a number of services such as baptisms, communions, funerals and weddings. The youth and children equally participate in many of their functions. For detailed information, check out their website.
Holly Lodge is located in Richmond Park and houses the Police Offices of the park as well as the Holly Lodge Center, an educational and environmental community center.