Clarion Victoria Hotel and Suites Panama
Calle D, El Cangrejo
Panama City, 0
Phone: (507) 395 9000
Fax: (507) 395 9001
Tu to Su from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PMPanama City was the oldest capital in all the Americas, founded in 1519 and prosperous until a devastating pirate force led by Henry Morgan sacked the settlement in 1671 and set fire to the remains before leaving. Afterwards, survivors moved to the present-day location of Casco Viejo to recover and rebuild, and the development that sprawled outwards didn't reach the Panamá Viejo area again until about 1950. The ruins were declared a protected site in 1976, followed by a UNESCO designation the following year, and have been developed as a pleasant walking tour with informative signs printed in English and Spanish. Colonial structures in various states of renovation are linked by paths running through lawns and under shade trees, so that the area feels like a tranquil park. Exploring this area is free of charge, but entry to the Panama Viejo Visitors' Center and Museum combined with access to the Torre de la Catedral ruin site comes at a low fee.