Clarion Collection Hotel Savoy
Phone: (47) 23 354200
Fax: (47) 23 354201
Universitetsgaten 11, Oslo, NO, 0164
- Phone: (47) 23 354200
- Fax: (47) 23 354201
Filadelfia is the largest Pentecostal church in downtown Oslo. Founded by Thomas Ball Barratt in 1916, it is considered to be most influential in the Pentecostal movement in Norway. It also arranges for various activities for the members of the congregation to display and improve their talents.
Three attractions share the same house. Edvard Munch, the painter, was born at Pilestredet 29 and lived here as a child. The mural of The Scream, based on Edvard Munch's painting and recreated here in black and white, is very impressive and was made by architecture students when the buildings were threatened by demolition. This is one of Oslo's few murals and should be seen. Close by is the Blitz building, which offers punk concerts and various political activities, as well as tasty waffles and cheap vegetarian food.
Located in the heart of Oslo, Oslo Reptilpark is a peculiar place. You can see more than 80 reptiles of all shapes and sizes. Snakes, tarantulas, fish and iguanas are are all there! Established in 2002, this park has been delighting children with their creatures for over a decade. Every Tuesday is feeding day for the reptiles, which is a great event for kids and adults alike.
Spikersuppa is a temporary, open-air ice rink located right in the heart of the city between the parliament and National Theater. The 25 x 10 meter (82 x 33 foot) rink is open during the winter and makes a great place to spend an energetic hour or two, skating, enjoying the atmosphere, and admiring the city. Skates can be rented from the outdoor restaurant. A loudspeaker system provides the music and entrance is free. In the summer the ice rink is transformed into a pond.
In 1849 Hamburg's great city planner Alexis de Chateauneuf won the competition to build a church for the Congregation of the Trinity. The building has a cruciform plan, crowned at the center with a copper-plated dome and a lantern at the apex. The Church of the Trinity was consecrated in 1858 and the entrance staircase was added in 1883. Inside you will find an altarpiece depicting Christ being baptized and a marble baptismal font. The church was re-consecrated in 1958 and after a thorough renovation was re-opened to the public in 1997.
The Parliament building houses the Norwegian Storting (Parliament) and dates back to 1866. The magnificent building was designed by the renowned architect Emil Victor Langlet. The facade is a beautiful blend of styles, mainly inspired from Italy and France. Visitors can enroll themselves for a guided tour of the entire structure. Private tours for groups can also be arranged upon request. The tours last approximately one hour. Admission is free.
Oslo's main library was established more than 200 years ago, when Carl Deichman bequeathed his vast collection of books to the city. Today, the Oslo Public Library houses over one million volumes. You will find the library building not far from the Trefoldighetskirken and the Goverment Offices. It is within easy walking distance of the city center. Supplementing the main building, there are 16 more specialized branches of the library scattered throughout the city.
In a neighborhood that is already packed with churches, the Swedish Church in Oslo is housed in a rather inconspicuous building piled up against the headquarters of the Deichmanske municipal library. The building, a neo-classical mortar-coated brick church, was designed by architect Lars Israel Wahlman, and consecrated by Bishop Nathan Söderblom on December 20, 1925. There is also an adjoining reading room. The altarpiece by Gunnar Torhamn depicts the Sermon on the Mount.
Of about 36,000 Catholics living in Norway, 60 percent have been born abroad, so there is a clear need for celebrating Catholic Mass in a variety of languages. This was Norway's first Catholic congregation to be formed since the Lutheran Reformation, and was established in Oslo in 1843. Their church, built by architect H.E. Schirmer in a Neo-Gothic style, was inaugurated in 1856. On that occasion, Queen Josephine presented the congregation with the altarpiece, a copy of Raphael's Sistine Madonna executed by Countess Sophie Adlersparre. In 1953, this parish church became the main church of the Catholic Diocese of Oslo. The church boasts a tabernacle in Italian marble, donated by Pope Pius in 1857, a bishop's throne used by Pope John Paul II on his visit in 1989, and the only existing relic of King Olav, the patron saint of Norway. The church was restored in 1975-76 by architects Thomas Thiis-Evensen and Sigurd stberg; the new high altar and the pi! llars in the naves are made of Norwegian granite. The new organ has 20 stops and was produced by the J.H. Jrgensen Organ Factory in Oslo.
Consecrated by the Bishop of Fulham on 27 July 1884, St Edmund's looks like a miniature cathedral tightly squeezed between drab plastered facades that take on monstrous proportions beside it. The Neo-Gothic building has stained glass windows and was designed by architect Paul Due. The Church is open to people from any country and any Christian denomination, and encourages its members to play an active part in congregational life. There is even a Time & Talents form to be filled when you want to become a member. Most Sundays during Service there is a Junior Church (age under 11) and childcare facilities in the crypt. Activities include an excellent choir, concerts, a Student Group with weekly meetings and a monthly Ladies' Guild. Services are followed by light refreshments and social fellowship meetings.
Oslo Town Hall, located next to Akershus Fortress and right in front of the harbor, was inaugurated for the city's 900th anniversary in 1950. The impressive entrance hall is used for the Nobel Peace Prize award ceremony every December. The Town Hall is richly decorated inside and out by famous Norwegian artists from the first part of the 20th Century. Guided tours are available for free.
Many of the cathedral's contents date back to 1697, the year the building was consecrated. Alexis de Chateauneuf, the architect of the Trefoldighetskirke, restored the cathedral between 1849 and 1850, and further work was done on the structure from 1948 to 1950. The cathedral is located close to Stortorget in the center of Oslo. King Harald and Queen Sonja were married here, as were Crown Prince Haakon Magus and Mette-Marit. The cathedral is also used for concerts and the crypt house exhibitions. Admission is free.