Strada Provinciale 51, Malgrate, IT, 23864
- Phone: (39) 0341 239811
- Fax: (39) 0341 2398610
Arts & Museums
This gallery, created at the request of Cardinal Federigo Borromeo in 1618, features many paintings by the Venetian, Lombardian, Flemish and schools, plus bronzes and marbles. Pinacoteca Ambrosiana houses great works as Ritratto di musico by Leonardo, Cesto di frutta by Caravaggio and the cartoons for the School of Athens.
The Museo del Novecento or Museum of the Twentieth Century is the right place to come to if 20th-century Milanese art interests you. A number of paintings have been donated by the generous Antonio Boschi and Marieda Di Stefano. Check website for a list of upcoming exhibitions.
Fondazione Nicola Trussardi is located near Teatro Alla Scala and is owned by a famous clothing business, it hosts shows and exhibits by international artists. The Museum's aim is to produce quality works from a number of local artists. They have also displayed their works in a number of museums and galleries world wide. Check the website for a list of exhibits.
The Museo Teatrale alla Scala was founded in 1913, but underwent a radical restoration and was opened again in 2004. The museum is a music-lover's Mecca: it gathers portraits and statues of the most well-known composers, opera singers and actors. It contains rare, ancient musical instruments such as a XVII spinet with the warning words "Inexpert hand, touch me not!" painted on it. Historical memories and set designs of the Theatre are on display on the second floor. In the first room, it is worth pointing out the still-life of musical instruments painted by Baschenis. The entrance of this museum is in the same building of the Theatre just on the side of the main doors. - Maria Frullini
Next door to the imposing Palazzo Belgiojoso, is the house that Alessandro Manzoni lived in from 1814 until he died in 1873. The building itself, which is a block with a central courtyard and side porticoes is one of the characteristic examples of architecture from the renaissance. The most defining element of the building is the façade facing the piazza: it has graffito plasterwork underlined by a rich decoration in terracotta executed in 1864 by Andrea Boni in traditional Lombardian renaissance style. Restored between 1962 and 1965, the building houses the Centro Studi Manzoniani and a library with books about and by Manzoni translated into various languages. The museum houses a collection of relics related to the poet featuring a host of prints, autographs, paintings and sculptures. Also, you will find numerous temporary exhibitions held at the museum from time to time. Check website for more details and exact visiting hours.
On the opposite side of Via Manzoni, Via Romagnosi, which was opened after the demolition of the church of Santa Maria del Giardino, is home to the Feltrinelli Foundation. Founded in 1973, the institute has a library with large volumes, ancient books and periodicals. Its archives specialize mostly in the economic, political and social aspects of the Italian workers movement and social dissent from the eighteenth century until present times. They organise seminars and meetings with political and historic debates.
Inaugurated in 1881 by Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli, the Museo Poldi Pezzoli houses important paintings, archaeological relics, arms, carpets, porcelain, glass, watches, and jewelry. Works by Hayez, Foppa, Boltraffio, Solario, Cranach, Mantegna, Giovanni Bellini, Botticelli, Piero Della Francesca, F. Guardi, Magnasco, Tiepolo, Palma il Vecchio, Frà Galgario, Tura, Cima da Conegliano, Lotto and Pollaiolo are all of special interest.
This private art gallery is managed and curated by Gabriele Cappelletti who has dedicated many years of his life to collect, promote and display the works of many artists, with a focus on painting and sculpture.
Places the accent on research, and shows artists from abroad never before exhibited in Italy, and the debut shows of young Italians. Long-standing cooperation with foreign artists such as Dutchman Johan Wagenaar, German Timo Kahlen, Australian John Sultana, Norwegian Jorun Monrad, as well as Italians such as Luigi Negro, Federico Simonelli, Diamante Faraldo, Tullio Brunone and Oscar Melano.
The museum is located in the rooms of the former Maggiore Monastery. It houses prehistoric, Greek, Etrusian, and Roman relics mainly recovered from the Milan underground during the excavations for the metro line. Of particular interest are: an ancient tract of Roman wall erected by the Emperor Massimiano Erculeo in 236-305 D.C, a tower that survives from the Circus Maximus constructed in the 4th Century CE, and the ruins of a Roman house from the 1st Century CE. In the central entrance to the cloister is the "Masso di Borno", a large stone recovered in Val Camonica with carvings that date back to III millennium A.C. There is a bookstore and a library, and museum publications are available to visitors. Standard admission is 2 Euro, reduced admission is 1 Euro. Guided tours.
This gallery located at Via Brera, 16 was founded back in 1967. Right in the middle of artistic Milan, it secializes in modern twentieth century Italian paintings. It remains closed on Sundays and is open to the public on Monday mornings but only by appointment.
In the Castello Sforzesco, this museum displays Ancient Art, in the Duke's Court, housing ancient Christian, Longobardi, Roman, and Gothic relics, including the sepulchre of Bernabò Visconti. Of interest are the sculpture sections with works by Bonino Da Campione, Giovanni Pisano, Agostino di Duccio, Mantegazza, Michelozzo, Bambaia and Leone Leoni. In the picture gallery there are approximately two hundred paintings among which: "Madonna with child" and the "Poet Laureat" by G. Bellini. Of special interest is the sculpture "Pietà Rondanini" by Michelangelo. A curiosity: uncovered on the first floor of the Falconiera Tower, the first room (today "sala Carlo Tosi") was the old matrimonial room in the Duke's apartment. Unfortunately, nothing remains of the original furnishings. Admission: free