Vittorio Emanuele II Gallery
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
+39 02 7252 4301
Construction of the "Galleria", a typically 19th-century public building now used for events, began in 1864 following a series of competitions for the design won by Giuseppe Mengoni. Large plaster eagles support its dome, 47m high and made of iron and corrugated glass. Note the telamons and caryatids on the interior façades and the Neo-Renaissance-style stucco work and graffiti. The floor of the octagon was completely restored in 1966 in rare marble mosaic showing the emblems of Italian cities. The art nouveau Bar Zucca (once the historic Camparino) facing the Piazza Duomo is the traditional stop for an aperitif and neighbours the elegant restaurant Il Savini
. Feature of interest:
On the mosaic floor note the symbol of the city of Turin - the black bull with worn genitals. Legend has it that revolving three times on one leg placed exactly in that position brings good luck.