Clarion Collection Hotel Griso Lecco
Strada Provinciale 51
Phone: (39) 0341 239811
Fax: (39) 0341 2398610
Charterhouse of Santa Maria of Garegnano
Mo to Sa from 03:00 PM to 04:30 PMThis old Carthusian monastery was founded in 1349 by Giovanni Visconti, and was demolished with the destruction of the cloisters in the late sixteenth century for the construction of the Milan-Laghi road. The complex, dedicated to St. Maria Assunta, is still in the middle of the motorway intersection. Few traces are left of the ancient building, which are still visible from part of the intersection, while the monument still retains it's fifteenth and sixteenth century style. The overturned 'T' building is particular, and is the result of the construction of two chapels in the centre (dating from the fifteenth century). There are differing opinions as to who planned the interesting facade, ranging from Alessi or Pellegrini to Seregni. There are also many paintings which date from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.