Clarion Collection Hotel Garden Lido
Lungomare Nazario Sauro, 9
Phone: (39) 019 669666
Fax: (39) 019 668552
Lungomare Nazario Sauro, 9, Loano, IT, 17025
- Phone: (39) 019 669666
- Fax: (39) 019 668552
Arts & Museums
In Acquasanta, a few kilometres from Voltri, in the small Piccardo paper mill, dating back to 1756, you can visit this interesting paper maker centre. It documents the various techniques of paper making in Val Leira which has been the principal centre of Genoese paper making since the 16th century (in 1850 there were 150 paper makers working here). It exhibits original paper making machinary and equipment, many of which remained in use here until 1985, as well as watermarks.
This museum was opened in 1954, and is housed in the 19th century Villa Durazzo Pallavicini. It is surrounded by one of the most beautiful, historical, Genoese gardens, and contains archeological finds dating from the Paleolithic period to Roman times, all from excavations in Liguria. The finds are exhibited throughout 23 rooms on 2 floors, and include prehistoric materials found in various Ligurian caves. Pre-Roman grave goods from Genoa, and objects from important Roman cities, as well as the eclectic collection of the Prince Odone of Savoy which includes Greek vases, bronzes, ceramics, and glass are displayed. The Paleolithic burials are of particular importance - they are the richest and best preserved in Europe, and include the burial from the Arene Candide caves which has been attributed to a prince because of the magnificence of the goods found in a cave near Finale, and dating back to more around 20,000 years ago. You should also see the famous Polcevera bronze table which carries a sentence issued by the Roman Senate in 117 B.C. - it is believed to be the first legal act in Liguria.
Opened in 1930, Museo Navale is housed in the sixteenth century villa, which belonged to the nobleman banker Adamo Centurione. It was later extended by Vannone, at the wishes of Gian Andrea Doria, who had it beautifully frescoed by L. Tavarone. Conserved in the museum are nautical instruments, figure heads, portholes, cards, nautical paintings and models of ancient ships, which document four centuries of naval art and history, from the 12th -16th centuries. The park behind the palazzo is of great natural interest, featuring a lake on which it is possible to sail; there is an enchanted isle in the center, designed by Galeazzo Alessi, which is today unfortunately in a state of disrepair.
The Calasanzio dei Padri Scolopi college has been the location for the paleontological museum since 1970. The museum was founded in the nineteenth century by Father Filippo Ighina, and contains findings from the Paleolithic age, discovered mostly in the Langhe and Astigiano. The collection is displayed in three rooms and charts a period of natural and minerological history: there are various fossils, roman funerary relics, mineral deposits, stuffed animals and birds, reptiles conserved in formalin, and a herbarium. The well-stocked library next-door is also worth a visit. It specialises in religious science and has important holdings dating from the 15th-17th centuries.
Città dei Bambini is the only organization in Italy which provides games and teaching activities and which is open to visitors from 3-14 years old. The Children's city is divided into various sections. It was inspired by the Citè des Sciences at Villette in Paris. There is an area which is dedicated to pre-school children. It has two sections: building a house and discovery. Here, children can let their imagination run wild and all work together in the building yard or experiment with physical phenomenon, using different sensory devices.(listening to the wind, recognizing smells and flavors) There is an unconventional way of introducing children to computers by allowing them to interact creatively with the machine. For the bigger children, there three other sections: techniques of communication, with a production studio for the TV news, the living world which shows the ways of life of different animals, You and Others which looks at the reality of those around us. The store is open on Mondays in the months of April, May and August and public holidays, please check the website for more information.
Located within the Palazzo Doria Pamphily "del Principe", this collection houses sketches, posters and other material from the second half of the nineteenth century till today, as well as various tools used in the advertising sector, radio and television. From headed paper to posters, and from the carousel to video clips. Admission: Free
Located within the Porta Siberia, the Museo Luzzati a Porta Siberia is a grand museum dedicated to Genoa's most popular illustrator and set designer, Emanuele Luzzati. The museum houses grandiose sets used in famous plays, an extensive collection of illustrations, tapestries and other art work. Besides that, the museum also houses a bookshop and a few event spaces where workshops and temporary exhibitions take place.
Located in the Area del Porto Antico, in the Millo quarter, Museo Nazionale dell'Antartide was built in 1876 and is today home to both business activities and restoration work. The newly built exhibition wing houses a display of adventurous exploration, of life pushed to the very limits of survival in the polar regions. Next to the panels illustrating the history of Italian exploration in the Arctic and Antarctic, there are accurate reconstructions of the polar environment, examples of animal and marine life, means of transport and base camp equipment. The visitor can join in the thrilling discoveries of the explorers and experience the difficulties they faced in an extreme, mysterious and fascinating natural environment.
Genoa was Christopher Columbus' hometown, and it maintained a reputation as a major port for those traveling across the seas and to the New World. Housed in the oldest building that still survives from the Genoa Republic, the Galata Museo del Mare focuses primarily on the theme of the sea voyage and examines the methods of transportation and life of sailors aboard historic vessels. Right next to Genoa's acquarium and overlooking the sea, Galata is spread out on four levels and in more than twenty rooms.
This 18th century villa was donated to the country in 1951. It houses temporary exhibitions and the Cernuschi Ghiringhelli Collection of Foreign and Italian Abstract Art (1900-1980), as well as the Sandro Cherchi donation and some sculptures by the most important Ligurian sculptors. The museum was first opened in 1985, and since then it has acquired more than 2000 works of art, including works by Fontana, Licini, and Pollock. There is also a library which specializes in History of Contemporary Art with Archives and a Video Collection. The villa is in the middle of a public park with a view over the sea looking towards the Portofino promontory.
The Museo di Sant´Agostino is actually located in a 13th-century Augustinian monastery. Housing precious works of art like sculptures, Ligurian frescoes and other ancient artifacts dating from the 10th to the 18th Centuries, a visit to this Medieval wonder promises to be both entertaining and educative. Do not miss out on the tomb statue of Marguerite of Brabant, at any cost.
The Vicolo art gallery is right in the heart of the old city center in Genoa. The gallery was opened in 1967 as the first exhibition space in Genoa dedicated to drawing. It has been expanded since, now showing exhibitions of pictures, illustrations and set design. The gallery contains drawings by some of the most important Italian and foreign artists in the world including Alechinsky, Arman, Avati, Barbisan, Braque, Campigli, Capogrossi, Castellani and more!