Via San Luca
Via San Luca, between Porta dei Vacca and Piazza Banchi
Once known as the 'carrubeus rectus' (the straight road), this is the important linking street between the Porta dei Vacca (o di S.Fede)
, the historic western entrance to the city, and Piazza Banchi
, the location of the grain market since the 12th century. The elegant houses which face onto the street were predominantly built in the 15th and 16th centuries, incorporating the existing medieval houses into their structures, of which traces remain in the façades, such as the ground floor galleries or the tiled fronts and many paned windows. Towards the mid-point of the street, an attractive square opens to one side, overlooked by residential buildings belonging to the Grimaldi and Spinola families, as well as by the Chiesa di S.Luca
, originally their family church. Its outer features date from the 17th century, but the church was founded in 1188. Along with Via Luccoli, Via S Luca is without doubt one of the most frequented pedestrian walkways in the historic centre, not only because it is one of the liveliest and evocative areas, but because some of the city's most famous shops are clustered here.