Clarion Collection Hotel Garden Lido
Lungomare Nazario Sauro, 9
Phone: (39) 019 669666
Fax: (39) 019 668552
Chiostro dei Canonici di S.Lorenzo
Mo to Sa from 09:00 AM to 12:00 PM,Mo to Sa from 03:00 PM to 06:00 PMThe cloisters are next to the State archive, which was once the Criminal courts. They are connected to the Archbishops office and the Cathedral of S.Lorenzo by a series of hanging bridges. They have undergone a restoration project over several years now and they have been transformed into the new site for the Diocesan Muesum of Sacred Art. They were built at the end of the twelfth century and incorporated part of the ninth century city walls. They were the residence of the Canons of the Cathedral up until 1800 when they were increased in size and changed into housing. During the last war they were damaged by bombardment. Today they are again splendid, characterized by a loggia with coupled columns, similar to those seen at the cloisters of S.Andrea. In the loggia there is a collection of interesting examples of art, (wooden floors decorated with prints, wall paintings from the 15th century). It is interesting to remember that this cloister had the benefit of immunity; a fact inscribed on a memorial stone in the facade. It was a safe refuge for those who were threatened by either public or private violence. Moreover, according to folklore every Holy Thursday the cloisters offered a meal to thirteen of the city's poor. Also they would regularly distribute soup, focaccia bread and wine. Unfortunately, it is not possible to make visits at present.