Chiesa di S.Maria delle Vigne
5 Vico del Campanile delle Vigne
+39 010 247 4761
The church was renovated in 1640 and lost much of its original character because of a new neoclassical façade. However, it still has its splendid square bell tower with mullioned windows, octagonal spires and pinnacles. The quadrangular cloisters next to it were also built at the end of the eleventh or beginning of the twelfth century. At that time this area had no other buildings. The cloisters were made with very ancient square capitals. They have now been modified into private housing. The tomb of Incisa Vivaldi has been there since 1304. It is underneath the arch to the left hand side of the church. It has been embellished by a second century sarcophagus. On the other side of the church, there is a beautiful late gothic gateway. In the lunette there is a Madonna with child by D.Piola. The 17th century interior has coupled columns which copy the nearbyAbbey of S.Siro. It has a decorative series of frescoes which are by a line of painters each who continued the work of art over some two centuries. (G.Palmieri, P.G.Brusco, G.Passano, L.Gainotti). Future mothers should stop a moment in front of the nursing Madonna which has been painted on one of the Romanesque columns. This picture is venerated by women expecting a baby.