Santa Justa Elevator
end of Rua de Santa Justa
+351 21 0 312 700 (Tourist Information)
The Santa Justa Elevator connects the Baixa neighborhood with Carmo Square (Largo do Carmo). Construction began on the elevator in at the beginning of the 20th Century in 1900 and was finished two years later. The neogothic tower and apparatus inside used to run on steam, but the elevator was converted to electricity in 1907. The 45 meter (148 foot) tower is a National Monument as of 2002, as a ride in one of Lisbon's elevators is a must for any visitor to the city.