Clarion Suites Lisbon
Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, 44-50
Phone: (351) 21 0046600
Fax: (351) 21 3863000
This synagogue was built in the 20th century. Inaugrated in 1904, it is the responsibility of the Lisbon Israelite Commission. This construction project was coveted as a model for construction of future synagogues all around Europe. Roman-Byzantine columns define the base of this sanctuary.
This small urban palace was constructed in 1792 using the remnants of the glorious Basílica da Estrela (the Great Basilica of Lisbon). Acquired in 1977 by the Ministry of Justice, it has been used since then as the Attorney General's office. The interior is decorated by two large sculptures - the first entitled Motherhood, and the second Sorrow. Both sculptures are made from white marble and created by the French sculptor Guillaume.
Built on the site of the former public walkway, the Avenida da Liberdade, and designed by the architect Keil Amaral covering an area of 25 hectares. The park was built on a hill and from the top there is a wonderful view of the Avenida de Liberdade and the Baixa Pombalina. On clear days, you can see right to the other bank of the river. The park, which was named after the visit of King Edward VII to Lisbon in 1903, contains a café, restaurant, playground and a sports centre.
Designed in the shape of a crucifix, this beautiful church was used for many years by the nuns that lived in the old Santíssima Trindade monastery. Located in the heart of the city, this church is nowadays visited by all kinds of believers and tourists.
The Marquês de Pombal (The Marquis of Pombal) was one of the most important figures of Portuguese history. He was Portugal’s Prime Minister during the mid-18th Century and is better known for his great planning and initiative following the destructive earthquake that shattered Lisbon on November 1, 1755. The statue of the Marquis marks Lisbon’s center, serving as a main connection square and central point between the upper and downtown areas. The immense structure, which culminates with the representation of the Marquis next to a lion, was inaugurated in 1934.
Housing plants from all corners of the world, the city's botanical garden is an ideal location to spend an enjoyable and relaxing afternoon. The garden was constructed under the auspices of a group of professors from Lisbon's Faculty of Science in 1873. The gardens cover a large area and form the shape of a complex polygon. The polygon is divided into two distinct areas, the more elevated of which houses the Botanical Museum, Planetarium, and Greenhouse. The other part of the garden is where you can find both an open air amphitheater and a picturesque pond. The vegetation in the garden is made up of the most common to the rarest of plant life. An assortment of trees, plants, and flowers fill the space. The most notable being the exotic palm trees (Cocus flexuosa and Phoenix) which fit in comfortably among the other plants in the garden.
Born in Lisbon, Camilo Castelo Branco (1825-1890) killed himself with a gun. He was disillusioned by blindness, a condition that ultimately kept him from continuing with his writing. Amor de Perdição and A Queda dum Anjo are two of his better known books. The statue, inaugurated in 1950, is the work of António Duarte, and represents the writer simply standing, contemplating the void.
Encompassing a wide area of 10 acres (4.04 hectares), this beautiful garden is located right in the heart of Principe Real. Classified as a national monument in 2010, these botanical gardens, are considered to be the best in Southern Europe. Been around the corner since the mid 19th Century, these gardens have a wide variety of plants and trees, some of which are as old as the dinosaurs. Yes, you read it right. These exotic plant species form a dense vegetation, right amidst the bustling city, thereby making it a major tourist attraction. Over 18,000 species can been seen here, which are labelled and describe to give the visitor some information.
Pedro Álvares Cabral was the top commander of the Portuguese fleet that found Brazil in 1500. Allegedly, Cabral was trying to find his way to India when a sudden change of weather and winds drove him to the southern coast of what is now the largest country in South America. This statue, a precise replica of one existing in Rio de Janeiro, was offered to Portugal by the Brazilian government. The structure, located near the Rato area, was presented to the public in 1941.
He was one of the most prominent Portuguese novel writers. Dedicated to the romantic style, Almeida Garrett was the main figure in Portuguese literature for the better part of the early 19th Century. Viagens na Minha Terra and Frei Luís de Sousa are just two of his best known books. Inaugurated in 1950, this statue, at the Avenida da Liberdade, is a work signed by the sculptor Barata Feio.
History as a social science in Portugal would not have been the same without Oliveira Martins. Born in 1845, he was responsible for a great set of literary works, but he was most recognized for his historical essays, such as the “História de Portugal” (History of Portugal). Oliveira Martins died in Lisbon in 1894. Created by Leopoldo de Almeida, the statue of Oliveira Martins is located at the Avenida da Liberdade in the city center.
Simon Bolívar is mostly recognized as the leading "liberator" of South America. During the early 19th Century, he led the movement that proclaimed the independence of the Republic of Colombia, a nation that included territories now within the borders of countries like Venezuela, Colombia, Panama and Ecuador. This statue, located at the Avenida da Liberdade, the most central and important street in Lisbon, was inaugurated in 1978.