Clarion Hotel Limerick
Phone: (353) 61 444100
Fax: (353) 61 444101
Built in 1838 by the Pery Square Tontine Company, this row of six terraced houses is regarded as the foremost surviving example of Georgian architecture in Ireland today. Most of the original woodwork, plasterwork and marbling remain intact in these beautifully preserved buildings. The impressive front doorways are expertly crafted from cut limestone. Other examples of Georgian architectural features can be found in the rear gardens. Ring for further details.
On the approach into the city of Limerick you cross over one of the city's most famous bridges, from which spectacular views of the cityscape can be seen. To the right appear the buildings of medieval Limerick city itself and to the left you can see the Curragower Falls. Sarsfield Bridge spans the broad River Shannon. Built in the early to mid-19th century, the bridge was modelled on the Pont Neuilly on the River Seine at Paris. It was named Sarsfield Bridge in memory of the heroic defender of Limerick, General Patrick Sarsfield, who was responsible for lifting the first siege of Limerick in 1690.
The Tait clock was erected in 1867 as a tribute to Sir Peter Tait, then Mayor of Limerick. He founded the Limerick Clothing Factory, which became a huge success and provided a considerable amount of employment. The clock itself is a Gothic octagonal tower clock, with four faces. Its silhouette enhances Limerick's skyline, and can be seen from quite a distance.
This park, located in the heart of the city, was built from reclaimed land from the River Shannon. It provides a place for rest and relaxation in the otherwise bustling city centre. Take time out to enjoy the scenery, and to admire the views of Thomond Bridge, the Curragour Falls, and the spectacular vista of King John's Castle. The castles, ancient walls, museums and Georgian houses all testify to Limerick's dramatic past. Alternatively, experience nature by perhaps catching a glimpse of the nearby nesting swans. The park has plenty of grassy areas, ample seating and a paved central area provides a location for bands and many other outdoors events.
The pedestrianized Market Quarter is an area of Limerick which has a long and varied history of commercial trade. It was built in 1830 when it primarily sold corn and then dairy. The walls that surround the market are part of the original walls of Limerick. The area was restored in 1994 to its former glory, and it remains an important social and historic centre. Today the market is a thriving concern. On Saturdays a wide range of produce is for sale, including vegetables, homemade butter, jams, brown bread and cakes. Flowers and plants are also sold here. On Fridays the market takes on a different role when it provides an outlet for local craftspeople to display and sell their wares. The area becomes a hive of activity with the presence of buskers and street entertainers adding to the atmosphere. Adjacent to the market are some recently built shops, which sell a variety of items such as ethnic clothes and continental foods. A small art gallery displays a select range of work.
The Bunratty River enters the Shannon estuary at Bunratty Castle, and provides good sea trout and eel fishing. The salmon and sea trout season in Ireland runs from February 1st to September 30th, and the brown trout season lasts from February 15th to September 30th. Sea trout fishing usually takes place in early June. Salmon and brown trout have only been caught in smaller quantities here but good runs of grilse have been found. There is no fishing allowed between the Mill Weir at Sixmilebridge and above Road Bridge joining Main Street. Fishing is free but inquire at the Tourist Office in Limerick before using the river.
Built in the 1760s, this beautiful building is located in the heart of the city, where the River Shannon meets the River Abbey. The structure was designed by Italian architect Davis Ducart, and the architecture seen here is characteristic of his style. The Custom House is home to the splendid Hunt Museum, which houses an impressive art collection. You can further enjoy the architecture while dining in the appropriately-named Ducart's Restaurant.
The Treaty Stone stands on a plinth across Thomond Bridge, on the opposite bank of the River Shannon from King John's Castle. It is a commemoration of the signing of the Treaty of Limerick in 1691. The Treaty was drafted following two sieges that took place in the city. The Treaty was signed on this stone, subsequently known as the Treaty Stone. In the end, the Treaty of Limerick was never honored; the Penal Laws of the 18th century, in fact, were in direct contravention of it.
Located beside King John's Castle, this museum is home to an excellent array of displays depicting the varied history of the city of Limerick. A currency exhibition and a history of trade are among the areas showcased. The most notable items in the collection are the Civic Sword, the City Maces and the city charters of Charles I. Award-winning examples of Limerick lace are also on display. The museum is free to the public.
Castle Lane is a newly built Irish street scape, which has been designed to resemble a street of 18th and 19th century buildings. It links Nicholas Street at one end to the quays of the river Shannon on the other, and is adjacent to King John's Castle. Today this street is home to the Limerick Civic Museum and the Castle Lane Tavern, a very popular socializing center and entertainment venue.
St John's Square is located a short distance from St John's Cathedral and was built in the 18th century. It was one of the first urban developments in the city. These residences were originally built as townhouses for local wealthy businessmen. They were constructed using local limestone and firebrick, with predominantly Georgian architectural features. The square previously had its own fountain, supplying water exclusively to the residents.
This is a walking tour designed to show you the sights written of and subsequently screened in the Pulitzer prize-winning novel "Angela's Ashes." The original text depicts the life and times of the people of Limerick in the early twentieth century. (However, the film of the novel was actually shot in Cork and Dublin.) The tour starts at the Tourist Office in Arthur's Quay. The route includes stops at Arthur's Quay, River Shannon, Sutton's Coal, Windmill Street, Redemptorist Church, Roden Lane, People's Park, Dominican Church, Railway Station, Naughton's Chipper, the Dispensary and many more.