51a O'Connell Street
+353 6131 7522
The Presbyterian community in Limerick dates from the 1640s. Their earlier churches were located in the old English town. In 1817 they built a church of cut stone in Upper Glentworth Street, close to the Dominican Church, but set well back from the present building line. However, due to the large number of Scottish soldiers stationed in Limerick at the end of the nineteenth century, the present fine church opened in 1901. The older church is now a printing works. The later church was lately deconsecrated and the Presbyterian and Methodist communities now worship in Christ Church on O'Connell Street. The former Presbyterian Church in Henry Street, near Jury's Inn, has been converted internally into offices, but as it is a listed building, the magnificent external construction of red brick and Portland stone has thankfully remained intact.