+353 61 31 7522 (Tourist Information)
The Franciscan Church is situated in Lower Henry Street, close to Sarsfield Bridge. The Franciscans had settled in Limerick in the late 13th century in Jail Lane, outside the city walls in the old English town. Although expelled during the Reformation, they managed to continue to meet secretly in Limerick. In 1782 they opened a friary in Newgate Lane, near the present City Hall. In 1824 they moved to their present location in Henry Street, close to the site of Wellesley Bridge, (now Sarsfield Bridge), which was not yet built. The present church was commenced on this site in 1876 and opened in 1886. It is of neo-classical design, featuring a portico of Corinthian columns, which project over the pavement. The mosaic over the High Altar is a replica of that in the Franciscan church in Assisi.