+353 61 31 7522 (Tourist Information)
The Augustinians are the longest-established religious order in Limerick. They have been here since 1215, in the Fish Lane area of what was the old English town. They stayed there until they were expelled during the reign of Henry VIII. Thereafter they had a precarious existence in the city until they returned to Fish Lane in 1740. However, they moved again, to nearby Creagh Lane in 1788. The Augustinians acquired an ailing theatre in 1823, located on their present location, and adapted it for use as a church. This stood until the present church was opened in 1942. This building is of Hiberno-Romanesque design, in carved limestone. It occupies a prominent position in O'Connell Street. An engraved lintel stone from the old Fish Lane priory is inserted into the front wall, facing O'Connell Street.