Saint Michael's Church
+353 6141 9044
Situated in Denmark Street, just off the junction of O'Connell Street and Patrick Street, this church was first opened in 1781. It replaced the original parish church of St. Michael, which had stood in nearby West Watergate since medieval times but had been destroyed by the Cromwellians in 1651. The Catholic parish was without a proper church until the present church was opened, after the relaxation of the Penal Laws, on land donated by the Arthur family. The church was enlarged in 1805 and again in 1881. During the struggle for Catholic Emancipation, Daniel O'Connell held some of his rallies in this church. The parish records, dating back to 1770, are in excellent condition, and are still clearly legible.