The Monastery of Mount St. Alphonsus
South Circular Road
+353 6131 5099
St. Alphonsus founded the Redemptorists order in 1732 in Italy. In 1854 they moved to their present home in the city of Limerick and became known locally as "The Fathers". Thomas Hardwick designed Mount St. Alphonsus and William Corbett built it of local limestone in 12th-century Gothic style. The church has highly decorated side chapels, which were later additions. There are beautiful mosaic walls, stained glass windows, a host of statues and ornamental floors. The church is famous for its annual novena held in June, which attracts a very large congregation.