Piazza Palazzo 4
Cagliari Cathedral has been dedicated to St. Mary since 1258, following the abandonment of Sant'Igia, capital of the giudicato
of Cagliari, where the bishop's palace used to stand. Between 1664-67, it underwent its first transformation following which the facade was renovated in 1702 in Baroque style by the architect Pietro Fossati. This was then replaced by the current facade in Neo-Romanesque style in 1930. The pulpit is of especial quality: originally part of a single ambo, it was made between 1159-62 by Maestro Guglielmo for the cathedral of Pisa but was donated to Cagliari in 1312. In the right transept of the Gothic chapel built during the Aragonese era, the Clement VII triptych is of uncertain attribution (Gerard David or the school of Roger Van Der Weyden). The fine mausoleum of Martin II of Aragon, built by the Genoese architect Giulio Aprile, stands in the left transept in a chapel built during the Pisan domination. The sanctuary built below the presbytery in 1618 holds the reliquaries of Christian martyrs found in the churches of San Saturno and San Lucifero.