Castri was already inhabited by the bronze age as can be seen by the two menhirs known as della Luce and Croce. The first is near the church of the Madonna della Luce, and the second on the road that leads to Pisignano. The history of the town is interesting because of the sequence of events that led to its current name. The center began as a fort, as indicated by the castrum. In 1353, it was taken by the Lettere family from Lecce and the Condò family from Paris. In 1396, the share belonging to the Lettere's was passed to the Francone's, hence the name Castrì-Francone and the share belonging to the Condò's was handed to the Guarino's giving us the name Castrì-Guarino. The two Castrì were passed to D. Adriani in 1707 and in 1709 to the Vernazza family. The current name Castrì di Lecce has been used since 1891.