Copertino Lecce, 73100
The two buildings to visit in this village are the 16th-century castle with a fine Renaissance portal, and the coeval frescoed chapel of St. Mark. The castle is Renaissance in design from artistic, decorative and military points of view. It stands over a fortification built during the Angevin era and is connected to the city walls. It is quadrilateral and ringed by a dyke. It was completed in 1540 with solid pointed corner bastions and 90 cannon ports which made it one of the most impressive defensive systems in Salento. The gateway is very decorative with a crowd of sculptures of local figures.