Chiesa di San Giovanni Evangelista
Corte Conte Accardo
The history of this monastery is entwined with some of the most important events to occur in the Salento. In 1133, Count Accard donated the Cisterno farmhouse to the Benedettine, and from then on it gradually became a place for young aristocratic ladies to gather. Combined with a good relationship with the popes and the presence of treasures this made it quite a prestigious place. The square bell tower is from the 16th Century while the church is from the 17th Century. The polyptych of the Madonna and Child with Saints by Jacobello da Bonomo, which is now housed in the Museo Provinciale was originally in the monastery. The nave has perfectly conserved the inside of a cloister from the 17th Century with its rich decoration, gilded wooden ceiling and many beautiful paintings.