Chiesa del Gesù
+39 0832 24 3131
Also known as the church of the Buon Consiglio (Good Advice), it was built in 1574 and is an example of the combination of Lecce Baroque and Catholic Counter-Reformation. The facade has two orders, the first features empty niches followed by pilasters and in between there is the emblem of the Compagnia di Gesù with two angels sculpted out of Lecce stone. On the second order there is a central window, a statue of baby Jesus and the metopes on the frieze represent the Passion of Christ. There are four chapels off the nave with altars decorated in stucco from the 18th Century, one of which is dedicated to the Virgin of Loreto with 18 shrines to saints in Lecce stone. In the transept there is the chapel of the Vergine del buon Consiglio. The main altar is one of the most beautiful and extravagant in the city. It is concave with four spiral columns typical of the Baroque period.