+39 0832 30 8557
A visitor entering the square from Corso Vittorio Emanuele is surprised at the apparition of the magnificent white facade of the Duomo. Similar to an arch of triumph in structure, it is decorated with a majestic statue of the city's patron saint, Sant'Oronzo, and by the superb portal with statues of the other two patron saints, San Giusto and San Fortunato. What is unusual is that the façade described is at the side of the cathedral, while the main facade is on the internal side of the square which is not immediately visible and less detailed. This was deliberately designed by Giuseppe Zimbalo in accordance with Baroque standards. It was first built before 1144, then rebuilt in 1230 and renovated between 1659-1670. It is based on a Latin cross and has a wooden ceiling decorated with gold and several painted canvases. There are four large pointed arches in the center of the cross where the transept is. Some of the most important examples of Salentino art are to be seen here such as the magnificent Baroque marble altars and the lovely 16th-century crypt.