Fortaleza de São João
Avenida João Luiz Alves
Rio de Janeiro, 22291-090
+55 21 2541 7522 (Tourist Information)
Formerly known as Forte São Teodósio, the current name became official in 1618 when the elaborate stone gate was built. In 1872, the fortress was remodeled and modern weapons were installed among which were 15 cannons. It was later renovated, and only the old gate and some ruins remain of the original structure. Additionally, there is a private beach for use by the military staff. From the fortress there is a superb view of the Guanabara Bay.