Gothenburg, 411 17
+46 31 786 0000
Gothenburg University College was founded by a private initiative in 1891, it received university status in 1907. The University building in Vasaparken was opened in 1907, but the institute grew quickly, and the building became too small. The solution was to rent or buy premises in the Lorensberg area, within walking distance of the new university library in Renströmsparken. In 1954, the institution was nationalized and adopted the new name of The University of Gothenburg. The building in Vasaparken is a magnificent edifice with quadratic granite pillars. On the sides of the grand stairs stand two lion statues. Today, The University of Gothenburg hosts a variety of public events in the old building.