Clarion Collection Hotel Astoria Genova
Piazza Brignole, 4
Phone: (39) 010 873316
Fax: (39) 010 8317326
Arts & Museums
This museum was set up in 1966, and occupies the circular tower in the villetta Serra, an eclectic building from the mid-nineteenth century. This museum is dedicated to the study of the figure of the actor and the scenic arts in Italy between the 19th and 20th century. During its thirty years of existence it has built up a huge collection of relics which belonged to many of the greatest Italian theatre actors, including Ermete Zacconi, Sergio Tofano, Silvio D'Amico, Virgilio Marchi, Tommaso Salvini, Romolo Valli, and Ruggero Ruggeri. It also houses thousands of iconographic documents and a vast historical archive. The Library, specialized in theater and cinema, possesses around 400,000 books. Shows, conventions, conferences, book presentations, and meetings with important theatrical figures also take place here.
The building which houses this museum was built specifically by the architect Mario Labò in 1971. It stands in a splendid panoramic position inside the Parco di Villetta di Negro. This is the most important Italian collection of its kind, and it includes almost 15,000 items. The collection was put together by the engraver and patron Edoardo Chiossone during his 23 years in Japan. . With an unusual amount of attention for that period he began to study and eventually collected many works of art, accumulating a huge collection of historically and artistically valuable works of art. The exhibition, which is probably visited more by Japanese tourists than the Genoese, is displayed in two large rooms dedicated to Buddhist sculpture from Eastern Asia and in five galleries linked by stairs forming a continuous path.
This museum was founded in 1867 by Giacomo Doria, it is housed in a building built specifically for it. It contains important zoological, paleontological, botanical, an mineralogical collection from all over the world - these collections are continually growing. It is estimated that there are more than 3.5 million exhibits today. The museum houses a Library and and Education Center with a multimedia laboratory. It often hosts temporary exhibitions, conventions, and conferences. The most interesting features for the many school children who visit every year are without doubt the large, ancient Italian, elephant skeleton, and the African Savana room which is enlivened with light and sound effects. School children are free, as are under 18's, and over 60's.
This museum is situated on the first floor of the building which hosts the Academy of the same name, built in 1751 by a group of nobles, scholars, and artists. The museum exhibits various paintings and drawings by great 16th-19th century painters, including Perin del Vaga, L. Cambiaso, B. Strozzi, D. Fiasella, and il Grecchetto. The paintings are not on permanent display, due to lack of space they are exhibited in turn. There is also an interesting plaster casts gallery. Conferences and temporary exhibitions also take place here.
The building said to be the house where the great seafarer spent his youth is close to the Chiosro di S.Andrea and to the Porta Soprana o di S.Andrea. In fact it is a seventeenth century reconstruction after this and other buildings in the area were bombed by the Roi Soleil in 1684. It is interesting that this house was the only one left standing during the fascist period when the whole Ponticello area was demolished and replaced by the current buildings.
The Rolli were lists, when Andrea Doria reigned, upon which were enrolled the palaces judged suitable for receiving distinguished hosts (belonging to aristocracy, clergy, politics), who travelled to Genova on official visit. They were actually the private houses of the richest families in the city, all located around the historical center: Unesco selected 46 of these as Patrimony of Humanity and you can have a look at them just walking through Largo Zecca and Piazza Fontane Marose, from Via Garibaldi to Via Lomellini, from Via San Luca to Via Balbi. One of the Rolli’s Palaces, Palazzo Grillo in Piazza delle Vigne, has recently been inaugurated as the foundation dedicated to the famous local singer De André, while another holds a collection of paintings by Rubens.
Situated on the main floor of the Palazzo Ducale, this archive houses all documents relating to the republic's administrative activities, from the 15th century until the end of the eighteenth century. It also houses the Administration Acts of the Government of the city and of the suburban councils from 1805, a number of manuscripts detailing the history of Genoa from the sixteenth century till the 18th century, the private archives of the Brignole Sale family and the De Ferrari family. A cataloging system on optical disk allows for easy access by the many visitors, among which are a large number of university students.
Located within the Italian Jazz Institute, Museo del Jazz is an intimate museum dedicated to jazz music. The museum houses a collection of CDs, tapes, videotapes as well as a complete selection of the recordings of jazz stalwarts like Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday among others. If you are a hardcore jazz enthusiast, then this is your shrine. The museum also host a few events in its premises. Call ahead to know more.
The Museo Diocesano provides a deep insight into Genoa's past because of the records that the church has kept over the centuries. Archaeological remains have been carefully preserved and showcased, along with elaborate clergy vestments and oil paintings. The textile collection is especially awe-inspiring and contains several pieces from over the ages. A visit here is well worth your time.
Palazzo Bianco was built in the first part of the 16th century by the Grimaldi noble family on the Strada Nuova, now called Via Garibaldi. It was then given to Brignole Sale who gave it a sumptuous appearance. Finally the building was donated to the Comune of the Duchess of Galliera. It was intended that it should become a civic museum. After post-war restoration, the paintings were displayed according to their period and painting school. There is a significant amount of works by the Flemish and Dutch masters and some important Italian artists. The Spanish school is represented by some paintings by Murillo and Zurbaran.
Galleria di Palazzo Rosso, known as rosso due to its color, is one of the last built in the Strada Nuova, now Via Garibaldi. It was built in the seventeenth century, for the Ridolfo brothers and Gio Francesco Brignole Sale. In 1874, the Duchess of Galliera, the last of the line in her family, donated the building and the art collections to the city. There was a particular obligation on the city to make the official noble apartment into a museum. The splendid rooms are sumptuously decorated with frescoes by Ligurian artists, from the seventeenth century like G. De Ferrari, D. Piola, A. Carlone and B. Guidobono. There are works from the 15th to the 17th centuries including sculptures, mirrors, porcelain and paintings. Among the masterpieces on display, there are paintings organized in chronological order and by school of art. There is also an important photographic archive with more than 200,000 photographs. Valuable for their historical and artistic value, they illustrate the history of Genova and Liguria from the middle of the nineteenth century until today.
The Vicolo art gallery is right in the heart of the old city center in Genoa. The gallery was opened in 1967 as the first exhibition space in Genoa dedicated to drawing. It has been expanded since, now showing exhibitions of pictures, illustrations and set design. The gallery contains drawings by some of the most important Italian and foreign artists in the world including Alechinsky, Arman, Avati, Barbisan, Braque, Campigli, Capogrossi, Castellani and more!