Viale Novembre 4
+39 010 657 4096
This public park, with views ranging over the Bisagno valley, covers the area where the sixteenth century fortifications, linked with Saint Catherine, once stood. It lies over the pits where the victims of the plague which raged through the city in 1656-7 are buried. The remains of ten or perhaps fifteen thousand victims are still visible today during underground explorations. A group of investigators ventured within the walls in 1989 and found themselves, in what might have been a scene from a horror film, face to face with a mountain of perfectly conserved skeletons. The park was established in 1821 by C. Barabino, as an area for strolling and sporting competitions. The park is adorned with tree-lined walkways and a central lake where swans and ducks are to be found. As well as a children's play park, there are areas for skating and cycling, football pitches, table tennis tables, bowling greens and even an athletics track.