Corso Andrea Podestà
The wide arch straddles the Via XX Settembre
, offering an interesting view of the nineteenth and twentieth century city from its summit. Built by C. Gamba and R. Haupt in around 1895, it stands on the site of a previous city gate, the sixteenth century Porta dell'Arco or of St. Stephen, now relocated near the Galliera hospital. Underneath the bridge is a shrine to the resistance fighters, with inlaid stones recording the reasons why the city of Genoa was awarded the gold medal for valour (1947), the names of the fallen partisans and the circumstances of the surrender by the German troops (25 April 1945). It is interesting to recall that during its construction, there were some structural problems, which aroused the suspicions of the genovese as regards the arch itself. When it was finished, Gamba actually had to sit under the bridge for several hours to convince sceptics that it was safe to pass under the arch.