Chiesa della SS.Annunziata di Portoria (S.Caterina di Portoria)
5 Viale Novembre
+39 010 580 652
This church is located away from the tourist areas in the modern Piccapietra neighbourhood, just behind the courts of Justice which have taken over the remains of the old Pammatone Hospital. It was built in 1556 and dedicate to SS. Annunziata, however, has increasingly become known as Santa Caterina da Genova, especially after her beatification in 1737. The inside has three naves and can be considered as an art gallery for sixteenth century Genoese art. Among the array of frescoes are some by O. and A. Semino, L. and P. Calvi, L. Cambiaso, G.B. Castello, A. Lomi, D. Piola and G. Carlone. The famous Mausoleum of Santa Caterina is attributed to Francesco Schiaffino. It is held aloft by four allegorical statues and is especially dear to the people of the city as it holds the intact body of the patron saint of Italian hospitals. Since 1983 part of the adjacent convent has housed the Museum of Capuchin life, and exhibits works of art, furnishings and objects belonging to the world of the Capuchin monks. Open:
9am-midday; 3pm-6.30pm Mon-Sun. Service times:
Saturday 5.30pm; Sunday 8.30am, 9.30am (inv.) 10.30am, 11.30am, 5.30pm.