Clarion Collection Hotel Astoria Genova
Piazza Brignole, 4
Phone: (39) 010 873316
Fax: (39) 010 8317326
This public park, with views ranging over the Bisagno valley, covers the area where the sixteenth century fortifications, linked with Saint Catherine, once stood. It lies over the pits where the victims of the plague which raged through the city in 1656-7 are buried. The remains of ten or perhaps fifteen thousand victims are still visible today during underground explorations. A group of investigators ventured within the walls in 1989 and found themselves, in what might have been a scene from a horror film, face to face with a mountain of perfectly conserved skeletons. The park was established in 1821 by C. Barabino, as an area for strolling and sporting competitions. The park is adorned with tree-lined walkways and a central lake where swans and ducks are to be found. As well as a children's play park, there are areas for skating and cycling, football pitches, table tennis tables, bowling greens and even an athletics track.
This church is located away from the tourist areas in the modern Piccapietra neighbourhood, just behind the courts of Justice which have taken over the remains of the old Pammatone Hospital. It was built in 1556 and dedicate to SS. Annunziata, however, has increasingly become known as Santa Caterina da Genova, especially after her beatification in 1737. The inside has three naves and can be considered as an art gallery for sixteenth century Genoese art. Among the array of frescoes are some by O. and A. Semino, L. and P. Calvi, L. Cambiaso, G.B. Castello, A. Lomi, D. Piola and G. Carlone. The famous Mausoleum of Santa Caterina is attributed to Francesco Schiaffino. It is held aloft by four allegorical statues and is especially dear to the people of the city as it holds the intact body of the patron saint of Italian hospitals. Since 1983 part of the adjacent convent has housed the Museum of Capuchin life, and exhibits works of art, furnishings and objects belonging to the world of the Capuchin monks. Open: 9am-midday; 3pm-6.30pm Mon-Sun. Service times: Saturday 5.30pm; Sunday 8.30am, 9.30am (inv.) 10.30am, 11.30am, 5.30pm.
It is difficult to find this tiny church; Chiesa Evangelica Valdese. It's hidden inside a nineteenth century palazzo on Via Assorotti. The Valdese churches are not part of the Roman Catholic main church, but more of a breakaway Methodist line. This in turn has caused friction with the Vatican, who believes that there should be no boundaries within Christianity.
This church was built between 1684 and 1706 for the Augustinian monks, and underwent further changes throughout the years up until the nineteenth century because of the construction of Via XX Settembre. It is situated in that part of the city between the fourteenth century bastions (later enhanced in the sixteenth century) and the Fronti Basse del Bisagno (The seventeenth century walls corresponding to Piazza della Vittoria). It has three large naves adorned with nineteenth century frescoes and a fourteenth century Crucifix over the altar by S.M. di Castello. It is said that until recently this crucifix was not hung as it was deemed to be offensive because of the transparency of Christ's loincloth. Next to the church is the Oriental Market, which has been located in the church's only cloister since 1899. It is a favourite of the Genoese messaie(but not only!). The Nickelodeon cinema is also situated within the convent on via della Consolazione.
Located in the residential area of Castelletto, near the nineteenth century Via Assarotti, It represents the main point of reference for the genovese Jewish community. The synagogue was built in a byzantine style in 1935, designed by F. Morando, and is only the most recent of the Jewish centres in the city. The first records of a Jewish community in Genoa date infact from Medieval times, as the toponymic "Piazza degli Ebrei", a little corner of the historic centre near the Porta dei Vacca (o di S.Fede), bears witness. To visit the synagogue, or to attend services you should contact the secretary before Friday morning.
Rebuilt between the 12th and 14th centuries on the site of a Benedictine abbey dating from 960, this is the most important religious building from the medieval era in Genoa, together with the San Siro abbey. The beautiful Romanesque apse is of particular interest as is the crypt with five naves, which encircle theremains of a primitive, Longobard church dedicated to S. Michele, who according to tradition was baptised as Christopher Columbus here. His father was a warden of the nearby urban port of Olivella. The Roman-Gothis facade has black and white stripes and is clearly visible from Via XX Settembre. The interior, has an elevated presbytery, and is rather simple and severe. It is dominated by the large painting of the Martyrdom of San Stefano by Giulio Romano, which has slight damage from the bombings of the second world war.
This Neo-medieval church stands a short way from the Parco di Villetta di Negro and from Piazza Corvetto. Chiesa Anglicana was founded in 1873 to make a permanent home for a Anglican Church in Genova. There is an Eucharist, also known as a Holy Mass, every Sunday at 10:30am.
Located on the corner of Via Roma and St. Catherine's Hill, this was built between 1541 and 1543 for the Admiral Antonio Doria, cousin of Andrea, presumibly designed by B Cantone and G. B. Castello, known as 'il Bergamasco'. The frescoed façade, today barely discernible, was painted by the Calvi school (16th century), while the splendid internal decorations are the work of F Calvi and the two Cambiasos: Giovanni and his son Luca. A visit to the split level courtyard is a must: it is one of the best examples of 16th century Genovese architecture, interestingly frescoed with the topographical plans of the major cities of the time. There are magnificent depicitions of Venice, Milan, Florence, Jerusalem, Anversa, Genova and Naples. Admission is free
The wide arch straddles the Via XX Settembre, offering an interesting view of the nineteenth and twentieth century city from its summit. Built by C. Gamba and R. Haupt in around 1895, it stands on the site of a previous city gate, the sixteenth century Porta dell'Arco or of St. Stephen, now relocated near the Galliera hospital. Underneath the bridge is a shrine to the resistance fighters, with inlaid stones recording the reasons why the city of Genoa was awarded the gold medal for valour (1947), the names of the fallen partisans and the circumstances of the surrender by the German troops (25 April 1945). It is interesting to recall that during its construction, there were some structural problems, which aroused the suspicions of the genovese as regards the arch itself. When it was finished, Gamba actually had to sit under the bridge for several hours to convince sceptics that it was safe to pass under the arch.
The rich vegetation of this green space in the heart of the city once framed the neoclassical villa built there by the Marquis Di Negro, designed by C. Barabino. This villa was renowned for the international artistic coterie of painters and writers by which it was frequented (including D'Azeglio, Manzoni, Stendhal and Dickens), as well as serving as a meeting place for patriots and politicans of the time, in particular Mazzini. The villa, destroyed by bombing in the last war, was replaced in 1971 by a modern building, designed by the architect M. Labò, and it houses the Museo di Arte Orientale E. Chiossone. The park covers about two hectares, and was the site of the city's first botanical garden in 1780, and then of the first zoological garden. The path leading to the top of the hill weaves between imposing specimens of exotic plants, including palm trees, Lebanese cedars, camphors and sequoias, crossing playful fountains, lakes with swans and ducks, aviaries of birds, evocative artificial grottoes and the breathtaking waterfall, a fairytale feature in an urban context, as favoured by the taste of the age. The highest areas of the park, with its well established pine trees and an attractive fishpond yields a memorable view over nineteenth century Genova. Access to the gardens is through Piazza Mazzini (above Piazza Corvetto) from Via Martin Piaggio and the Dinegro hill.
Built as a country residence by the Dei Mari family in the late sixteenth century, this building, standing on the top of a large public park in the hilly area of Castelletto, was modified by the Grübers in the nineteenth century. Now a museum of Americana, which collects archeological material from the pre-colombian civilizations, especially the Maya people, it incorporates the local police station in its most modern wing as well as a sixteenth century watch tower behind. The nearby family Abbey of S. Maria della Sanità was also a part of the estate. Today it is separated from the villa and open to the public.
This structure belonging to the local council has the responsibility of giving out community information to the citizens and involving them in the formation of the EU. It offers information and assistance on anything regarding the EU, European politics, official European documents, access to information on the internet and satellite links with the main European television networks. Children are also encouraged to learn more about the EU through the efforts of LITTLE (Let' s Invent and Teach to the Little ones of Europe)