Frankfurt am Main, 60311
+49 69 6928 4235
The Alte Nikolaikirche (Old Nikolai Church) has formed the south section of Frankfurt's Römerberg since 1260. Initially designed as a chapel for the neighbouring Stauferpfalz Palace, the church was later used for mass and prayer by the town council. In the 15th Century, the building underwent changes and the watchtower was made higher to enable watchmen to signal to ships on the river from the top of the tower. Members of the council could also watch the festivities on the Römerberg from the extended rooftop. A hundred years later, this place of worship was turned into a warehouse and silo. Today, the facade of the late Gothic, doubled-naved church is painted in its original colors of white and red.