Frankfurt am Main, 60311
+49 69 2123 8800 (Tourist Information)
The Gerechtigkeitsbrunnen ('Well of Justice') was built in 1541, probably on the site of an even older well, in the middle of the Römerberg - Frankfurt's central square. The water had a 2 kilometer (1.24 mile) route to reach the wells. In 1610, the wells were provided with stone interiors and presided over by the impressive Statue of Justice. When Kaiser Matthias was crowned in 1612, wine - instead of water - flowed freely from the mouths of the stone lions. In 1887, the wells were renovated and the stone figures copied. The original sandstone statues were moved to the Museum of Local History.