Clarion Collection Hotel Frankfurt City
Phone: (49) 69 96869890
Fax: (49) 69 9686989797
Taunusstr. 48, Frankfurt, DE, 60329
- Phone: (49) 69 96869890
- Fax: (49) 69 9686989797
Frankfurt's main train station was opened in 1888 after five hard years of construction work. It is still one of the largest train stations in Europe with 25 platforms and over 1,500 trains departing every day. The monumental natural stone facade features an ornamental clock and is crowned by a sculpture of Atlas bearing the earth on his shoulders. The building is split up into three halls, all of which have been recently renovated. The station now boasts dozens of shops, food outlets and a stylish waiting room.
Tourismus und Congress GmbH is one of the main information centers for visitors to the city, as well as the organizational headquarters of Frankfurt am Main's exhibition center. This is where you can obtain information on trade fairs like the International Motor Show or sports events such as the ATP tennis tour. Registration, press accreditation and help in finding hotels and parking are all part of the service. They can also provide information about organizing meetings and conferences and help with devising programs. As well as general tours of the city, there are also specialist tours with themes like architecture, crime stories or famous women. Numerous informative brochures are available.
If you think of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe as being Frankfurt's most famous son, the city's second most famous inhabitant is almost certainly the great playwright Friedrich Schiller, who for a long time lived near the Hauptwache. It was in Frankfurt that his play Kabale und Liebe was first performed. This monument to Schiller was produced by sculptor Johannes Dielmann in 1864. It stands in the city center, just in front of the Deutsche Bank's twin towers - a place where culture and commerce merge.
Opera is a burning issue in Frankfurt in more ways than one. Outsiders tend to associate it with the Alte Oper or the Opernbühne, but both were completely destroyed in the World War II. A new building was opened in 1951 but burned to the ground in 1987, being reopened some four years later. The stucco sculpting on the ceiling of the foyer is of particular architectural interest. The works of the six operatic stalwarts are staged here more than anything else, though they also alternate with more recent composers. Instead of a permanent program, the Oper Frankfurt currently employs a staggione system, staging performances in groups. The reputation of the opera house used to be a cut above the rest, but is on the wane as a result of internal disputes, despite some spectacular productions.
One of the most popular landmarks in Downtown Frankfurt, Willy-Brandt-Platz was probably created between 1661 and 1662. Flanked by Friedensstraße, Weißfrauenstraße and Neue Mainzer Straße, it started out with a different name, that was changed to Theaterplatz in 1902 and finally Willy-Brandt-Platz in 1992. Some important attractions located very close to the square are Schauspielhaus, the old opera house and European Central Bank.
Acquiring its name from the renowned Main River, Main Tower is a stunning 56 story architectural structure, which is one of the most important buildings around the Innenstadt neighborhood. The two attached towers are significantly the fourth tallest in Germany. They comprise the German offices of the famous Standard & Poor's, Merrill Lynch, the Hessischer Rundfunk television studio and many more. The Main Tower Restaurant & Bar on the 53rd floor serves eclectic Euro-Asian cuisine, that is loved by the patrons. Check out the website for detailed information.
Built in 1820-21 for the Jewish banker Joseph Isaak Speyer, this magnificent residence was bought in 1846 by Baron Mayar Carl von Rothschild, who then had it altered and extended. He used the villa as a summer residence and its splendid interior now gives visitors an insight into the lifestyle of an aristocratic German family. The staircase, with its mirrors and colored marble finish, leads down to several reception rooms, of which three still have their original decor. After the Baron's death in 1886, the Rothschild Library was installed. In 1928, the City of Frankfurt took over the house and moved a section of the municipal library here. The villa also houses a Jewish Museum.
The Mercedes showroom on Kaiserplatz became symbolic of the 1950s economical miracle in Germany. Even today, the semi-circular glass facade is an outstanding example of classical modernism. The showroom has recently undergone major renovation work and has been brought in line with 21st century tastes. If you haven't got enough cash to buy the latest Mercedes, maybe you could manage to splash out on one of the baseball caps, umbrellas or scarves sold here.
This late-classical villa was built for businessman Johann Georg Cronhardt in 1872. As detached houses with gardens were not permitted in Westend at the time, the architect constructed a corner house with a round central element. Along with the surrounding houses which were built during the same period, Villa Cronhardt typifies the architectural style of the 'Grunderzeit', an era of massive building and urban redevelopment in Germany (1870-90).
In 1990, this second footbridge was built over the river Main to connect the district of Sachsenhausen with the city. Holbeinsteg, a modern suspension bridge, was constructed by a well-known Frankfurt architect and hangs from red and blue cables which, in turn, hang from two pairs of pylons. The views from the bridge are great: in one direction you have a great view of the museums, and in the other, you can marvel at the impressive Frankfurt skyline. But be careful - the bridge sways!
Although it is now located on Opernplatz, the Lucae Brunnen was meant to be placed on the Schiller-Straße. The gorgeous masterpiece was designed by architect Richard Lucae in 1872. The fountain is often lit up during evenings - bathed in twinkling LED lights, Lucae Brunnen sure looks splendid. Different seasons witness the Lucae Brunnen take on different hues and avatars. In winters, it is decked up in soft blue Christmas lights, making it look like a pretty, little Winter Wonderland in the middle of the road; whereas during summers, the structure functions as the beautiful water fountain that it was actually meant to be.
The Old Opera House still looks as magnificent and imposing as it did when it was opened by Kaiser Wilhelm I in 1880. The building was financed by wealthy Frankfurt citizens and was designed in an Italian Renaissance style by Richard Lucae. Destroyed in a 1944 air raid, it was rebuilt later and renamed the 'Old Opera Concert and Conference Center'. The main auditorium, the Grosser Saal with seating for about 2450 people, is the central part of the building and is used for concerts and musical extravaganzas. Smaller rooms can be hired for functions, conferences, corporate events, receptions, product launches and so on. Visitors can obtain refreshments in the café, the restaurant or the bistro.