Clarion Hotel & Conference Centre
1485 Garrison Road
Fort Erie, ON L2A 1P8
Phone: (905) 871-8333
Fax: (905) 871-5411
Once an important military post during the War of 1812, this fort today serves as a faithful recreation of those times, complete with guards dressed in period clothing, rooms frozen in time and re-enactments of the battles of the day. Reconstructed and administered by the Niagara Parks Commission, the fort features a gift shop, snack bar, picnic area, and playground for kids. The fort is located on the shores of Lake Erie, directly across from Buffalo.
Frenchman's Creek, a tributary of the Niagara near Bridgeburg, was witness to one of the battles between Americans and English armies in 1812. The battle ended with the British driving away the Americans who were hoping to gain control over the Niagara frontier. The battlefield is a National Historic Site of Canada as of 1921.
The famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright came up with drawings for "Boathouse for the University of Wisconsin Boat Club," but he never got to build the boathouse. Finished in 2007 the Frank Lloyd Wright's Rowing Boathouse was constructed based on Frank Lloyd Wright's designs. The building is a working boathouse and is also open for tours.
The village of Ridgeway, in what was then Canada West, was witness to a raging battle between Irish Americans and the Canadian Army. The battlefield is now maintained by Fort Erie Museum Services along with other historic sites that include the Railroad Museum and Fort Erie Museum. Listed amongst National Historic Sites of Canada in 1921, the Ridgeway Battlefield makes for an interesting visit.
Commonly known as 74th Regimental Armory, the Connecticut Street Armory is an imposing structure that represents American history. Featured in the National Register of Historic Places in 1996, it was built in 1899, under the supervision of architect Isaac G. Perry. Currently, it houses administrative offices and 74th Regiment of the New York National Guard. While you are in town, do visit this important landmark.
Located on the West Side less than a mile from culturally-rich areas such as the Buffalo Theater District, this college has been providing top-notch education to motivated students for almost a century. Named after Marguerite D'Youville, founder of the Grey Nuns, the college is small and intimate with only 1900 students on a historic campus. Also on campus can be found the award-winning Kavinoky Theatre, situated in a restored Victorian-era building. The campus is minutes from Niagara Falls and the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.
The Zink Block is located at Erie County, New York and it was constructed for William T. Zink's furniture store. It was incorporated in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
The Buffalo Religious Arts Center is a facility that strives to preserve and protect the religious objects and memorabilia that was once in use. The arts center collects artifacts that were a part of closed churches and preserves them. Guided tours of the facility are available for visitors. A visit to this place will enrich your knowledge about the religious history of Buffalo and neighboring areas. The facility is also available on rental basis for weddings.
This L shaped brick building known as the Engine House No. 2 and Hook and Ladder No. 9 is a firehouse at the streets of New Jersey. This building is known to have survived the important technological and social changes and the beautiful remains reflect the early historic years. This structure stands as an important architectural art museum today.
This is a city location for Muslim worship and other services.
Located at the tip of Beaver Island State Park on Grand Island, this historic farm house, originally built in 1849 and restored by the Grand Island Historical Society, contains memorabilia from U.S. President Grover Cleveland (who worked on his uncle's farm as a young man) as well as Victorian furnishings. The Cleveland material includes a library with books, documents and photos connected with Grand Island. Tours of the house are conducted the second Sunday of each month with volunteers dressed in Victorian outfits. Group tours may also be arranged by appointment.
Designed by father-and-son architects Eliel and Eero Saarinen in the 1930s, this music hall is internationally recognized as having perfect acoustic pitch. The estate of Edward and Mary Kleinhans provided the impetus and the funds necessary to build the home of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places and now also houses the Buffalo Chamber Music Society alongside the QRS Concert Series. Kleinhans also hosts a variety of events, from concerts to commencement ceremonies for local schools, check website for complete calendar.