M Street and Second Street
Eureka, CA 95501
This mansion was the original home of one William Carson, an original 'Forty-niner' as he arrived in California that year from New Brunswick, Canada. Like many others, he tried and failed to find his fortune in gold, however he ultimately found success in the lumber industry and became a magnate. When the mansion was completed in 1886, the architects combined a mixture of Victorian styles (most notably Queen Anne) and it remains an impeccable example of this type of architecture in America. Today, the mansion is home to the Ingomar Club, in which its members maintain the grandiose edifice and its grounds, in addition to promoting athletics and other cultural pursuits for their members.