Clarion Hotel & Convention Center
525 33rd Avenue, SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
Phone: (319) 366-8671
Fax: (319) 362-1420
Since the turn of the century, Cedar Rapids has been home to thousands of Czech, Moravian and Slovak immigrants and their descendants. Still home to Sykora Bakery & Polehna Meat Market, which both date back to the 1920's, the Czech Village is a restored section of what was the shopping district for many of those immigrants. Here you will also find the National Czech & Slovak Museum and Library. It is internationally known for its permanent and changing exhibits which feature exquisite Czech and Slovak folk art and costumes, fine art, political history, maps and military items. A visit includes a tour of a restored 1880 Czech immigrant home. Specializing in products of Czechoslovakia, the small Czech Cottage in the Czech Village features a wide range of glassware, crystal, dinnerware, Royal Dux figurines and Czech Garnet Jewelry, also known as Bohemian Garnet Jewelry.
Located in a small Czech ghetto, the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library explores the Czech and Slovakian culture through its diverse collection. The museum pertains to its neighboring Czech immigrants by disseminating its native culture and history. You can learn here about their traditions, lifestyle, art, crafts and so on. The library has several books, photographs, videos and archives that cater to the same aspect. Shop for jewelry, books and other gift items at their store. Events here include book launches, discussions, seminars and local fiestas.
Veteran's Memorial Coliseum is located in the heart of Cedar Rapids in the center of the scenic Cedar River. A beautiful wedding venue, the coliseum was in use as the city hall till it was ravaged in the 2008 floods that struck Iowa.
Just eight miles north of Cedar Rapids, this relaxed farm and recreation area offers hayrides, bonfires, covered picnic areas, and a wonderful rustic, rural setting for happenings and events. Maple Ridge Farm is open from May through November.
Situated opposite the sprawling Greene Square, Cedar Rapids Public Library is spread across an area of 95,000 square feet (8825.78 square meters). The space serves as a dynamic place promoting a culture of public interaction and engagement. The library offers a multitude of services including free WiFi connectivity and computer courses.
Thought to be the largest in the world, the Iowa Masonic Library and Museum in Cedar Rapids offers one of the most complete collections of Masonic artifacts from around the world with over 100,000 volumes of both Masonic and general books. Also on display, an array of Masonic aprons, which include 18th century hand-embroidered and hand-painted silk aprons; Knight Templar swords, and modern porcelain and glassware.
The Moslem Temple, also known as The Rose of Fraternity Lodge, is said to be the second oldest mosque in Ross. Encircled by houses, this modest structure remains an important temple for prayer and devotion in the community. It was built in 1929 and features on the National Register of Historic Places.
The St. Paul United Methodist Church is a historic church constructed in 1914. Located in downtown, the church was designed by famous architect Louis Sullivan. The congregation is an active one, with services being held routinely. The church became a part of the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 owing to its historical and architectural significance.
Owned by three wealthy families between 1884 and 1981, this 21-room Queen Anne-style estate is a 26-acre National Trust Historic Site and a community cultural center that exhibits objects having to do with the history of the house, its inhabitants, including its servants and a lion; and the local culture that was influenced by the endeavors of its owners' economic ventures. The Visitor Center is located in the 1911 carriage house.
Located on 10-acre site in Seminole Valley in northeast Cedar Rapids, Ushers Ferry Historic Village is a showcase of how early Iowans lived before such conveniences as electricity or indoor plumbing. Buildings include Opfer's Livery Stable, Grange Hall, the Village Church, Cherry Valley School, Tinker's Shop, a log house, and an old fashioned sweet shop. Ushers Ferry Historic Village offers a variety of workshops for kids and adults.
Functioning as a museum, this restored 1900s farmhouse is listed on the National Register of Historical Places and features history exhibits. This site consists of the farmhouse, outbuildings, a chicken house, tool shed, barn, an implement shed, a summer kitchen & smokehouse.
The Indian Creek Nature Center is a private, non-profit nature center that offers environmental education for all ages. The property contains four miles of trails, an interpretive center, which is housed in a remodeled 1932 dairy barn that features exhibits, an auditorium, offices, a gift shop and restrooms; a butterfly garden, Vermont-style maple sugar house, herb garden, frog pond, picnic tables, and the Paul and Sigrund Lynch Wetland site that includes decks, collection sites and interpretation.