Clarion Collection Hotel Makeney Hall
Belper, EN DE56 0RS
Phone: (44) 0844 855-9111
Fax: (44) 0133 284-2777
St Alkmund's Church is an ancient church as old as the first millennium located near the River Derwent in Duffield. The present building dates back from 14th Century and has a Grade I listed status. The church contains many carved stonework from the Norman Age. Visit the website for more.
An ancient town, Belper has been occupied since the Anglo-Saxon times and it was once inhabited by Bradelei. This market town features a pristine river running its course through the heart of the town. A world heritage site, Belper is a wonderful place to explore the various historical attractions as well as the breathtaking Peak District. A network of ancient mill complexes are found in Belper and house some of the first advanced factories of the world. Belper has been heavily influenced by the Strutt estate and thus, several of the town's original elements still survive. The visitor center offers pamphlets for guided walks and trails.
The oldest section of the All Saints' Church at Kedleston is the South doorway which dates back to the Norman period. Featuring stone work that is both beautiful and grotesque, the doorway is only one of the church's many treasures. With additions and alterations made to it throughout its life, the church is richly endowed with architectural features that span centuries. While the church itself is of great interest and intrigue, what All Saints' is really known for is its collection of memorials to the Curzon family whose members resided in the adjacent Kedleston Hall. The memorials are nothing short of awe-inspiring featuring astoundingly life-like figures, lavish materials, intricate carvings and elaborate designs. The church is currently under the management of the Churches Conservation Trust, and is protected by virtue of its designation as a Grade I listed building.
Ambergate is a small village in that is located close to where the two rivers Amber and Derwent meet. Besides it's scenic value, the village is known to be the where England's first electronic telephone exchange was opened. The community here is quite active and keeps itself occupied with organising a number of events through the year, the most awaited being the carnival. Visit this village to walk around the place were the first electronic exchange in the world between small to medium took place.
Deda is an exciting theatrical space that assures theater-lovers a diverse repertoire of drama each season. Hugely popular dance classes are held at the beginner and intermediate level for those interested so make sure to look those up. Some of the other offerings include comedy nights, salsa sessions, jazz concerts, burlesque comedy and more. Their award-winning CUBE cafe delights diners with divine preparations which go well with the rich selection of wines and ales. Check website for details.
St. Mary's Church, Chaddesden has stood at the site since the middle of the 14th Century, faithfully serving the religious needs of the community since its completion. While the chancel was a part of this original structure, the rest of the church was added over the years. Nevertheless, the church is a fine example of medieval architecture and has been designated a Grade I listed building. While the church itself is of significant architectural and historic importance, housing some fine pieces, it is also revered for its association with the Wilmot family. The churchyard is home to a number of memorials to the family members, as a result of this, and even once housed almhouses erected by Robert Wilmot. Inside, the church radiates a comforting warmth, where all are welcomed with sincere acceptance.
St Werburgh's Church at Derby is a curious structure as it appears to be a combination of two different buildings, rather than a single unified church. This effect can be attributed to the fact that while the chancel and tower were built in the 17th Century in the Gothic Survival style, the rest of the church dates back to the 19th Century and was built in the Gothic Revival style that was prevalent in the 15th Century. Although the church is now redundant, the chancel and tower are open to visitors as they have been vested in the Churches Conservation Trust. Inside you will fine a number of the church's original furniture and fittings alongside the superb architectural details; the place where the famed Dr. Samuel Johnson was married. The key to the church can be obtained from the Derby Museum and Art Gallery.
Inside an imposing red brick structure on The Wardwick lies the Derby Central Library. It was built in 1879 by Richard Knill Freeman and is the main library of the city. It has a vast amount of over 20,000 books, magazines, journals, periodicals, newspapers and manuscripts. It also offers many technical facilities. Research scholars and students can be seen poring over the many documents here.
St. Luke's is an Anglican parish church and one of the oldest in Derby. It was consecrated in 1881. The church has a high Perpendicular tower and is listed as a heritage structure since 1977. Being an active church it regularly conducts religious services. The church is also home to numerous groups involving members of all ages. It also organises special sessions for life events like baptism, marriage and funeral
Primarily a business park, the Pride park is a area (stretch of land) that spreads across almost 80 hectares. The site was unused for many years as it was a part of a former railway yard that was lying as invalid. Also it was a dumping ground of various toxins. The site underwent re-construction and today is a successful business hub. The Football stadium of the Derby County's football club, hotels, internet bank's headquarters etc. Contact 0871 4721884
The existing structure of St. Werburgh's Church at Spondon largely dates back to 1390 with very few changes made to it over the years. This makes it a rare example of a relatively untouched medieval building. Architecturally significant and rife with religious feeling, the church is home to a number of fine fixtures which include Victorian stained glass windows, four piscinae and an extremely rare example of the Royal Coat of Arms of Queen Anne that predates the union with Scotland. Warm and wonderfully inviting, the church continues on its quest to guide its congregation on their path to spiritual upliftment.
Consisting of award-winning gardens, the massive Hayes Conference Centre is an ideal location for anyone looking to conduct a large-scale corporate conference or event. Built in the 1860s and located in Swanwick in Derbyshire, the center has been a successful conference center since 1911, providing residential and day conference facilities for up to 400 delegates. The center is fully equipped with the most modern facilities required and is set in beautiful Derbyshire countryside with easy road, rail and air links.