St Werburgh's Church
+353 (0)1 605 7700 (Tourist Information)
The original church on this site was raised by the Normans in 1178 and named after the King of Mercia's daughter, the Abbess Werburgh. Re-designed by Thomas Burgh in 1715, and then again following a fire in 1754, the church's Georgian interior is as interesting as it is attractive. The Guinness family are commemorated inside and Lord Edward Fitzgerald, of the 1798 rebellion, lies in a tomb beneath the church. Other items of interest include the Gothic pulpit, created by Richard Stewart, and the organ case which dates back to 1767.