Clarion Hotel Dublin Liffey Valley
Liffey Valley Complex
Phone: (353) 1 6258000
Fax: (353) 1 6258010
Mo to Fr from 10:00 AM to 05:00 PMDublin Castle symbolized English rule for 700 years, ever since the Anglo-Normans built their fortress on this site. Later, the castle was to serve as the headquarters of the English-appointed Viceroy of Ireland. It was not until 1922 that it was finally handed over to the Irish Free State. Guided tours include the palatial State Apartments of the castle. Historical items of interest include a throne donated by King William of Orange and a variety of banners of the now-disbanded Knights of St Patrick. The Castle is very much a working series of buildings: it is used for State functions, and many government agencies are based here. This is an essential place to check out and there is a great deal for the visitor to see, including the Chapel Royal, the formal gardens, the Crypt Theatre and the splendid Chester Beatty Museum.