Christ Church Cathedral
+353 1 677 8099
This beautiful church is one Dublin's two Anglican cathedrals and has stood on this site since AD 600. The present building was founded in 1172 by Strongbow, the Anglo-Norman conqueror of Dublin. In the hundreds of years since, the building has weathered many changes of design and periods of steady deterioration. Since 1870 however, the Cathedral has been gradually and sensitively restored. The cathedral houses some of the remains of Strongbow, a casket containing the heart of St Laurence (the patron saint of Dublin) and a tabernacle and candlesticks used by James II in 1689 when the Latin Mass was briefly celebrated. The cathedral choir is one of the finest in Ireland.